Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Legend Of The Christmas Rose

Such a beautiful book! I love how the angel gives Dorothy flowers that she can give Jesus as her gift to him. - Yena, 8 

This is one of those tear-jerker books that *just* has to be read at Christmastime.

As a mother, I feel for Dorothy, who is compelled to see the King/Baby Jesus; I feel her nervousness, her timidity, her shame at having nothing to give.  I want to scoop her in my arms and assure her that anything she has to offer will be lovely in God's eyes.  Dorothy is every one of my children.

As a child of God, I wonder at the awesome gift He gave to us, when He came down from heaven to join us here on earth, as a babe, humble and helpless.  I am grateful that He chose to have His presence known first by shepherds -- His message is for all, not just the rich or the privileged.  I wonder at His continual gift of Himself when He comes to us daily in the Eucharist.

This would also be a good book to read alongside a study of flowers or plants.  The author's note at the back tells about the Christmas rose, Helleborus niger

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Twelve Days of Christmas by Laurel Long

What I liked about this book was the artwork, which shows you the things that are mentioned in the lyrics.